Saturday, January 13, 2007

Winter Wonderland in LA!

It's been a while since I've blogged and a lot has happened...been so busy, I've barely had time to breathe but it's a quiet Saturday so I thought I'd get back into it for a bit. Funny enough, I haven't had my computer since I was in LA as I did the idiot move of spilling coffee (w/ extra sugar) onto my computer right before I left for LA and short-circuited my keyboard. It amazes me how not having technology when I am so reliant on it to stay in touch can drive me mad!!! Since I moved into my new apt I haven't had TV either so when my computer fritzed, I was left with only my blackberry as a technical connection to the world and was completely reliant on keeping myself entertained without access to TV, laptop, etc. Fortunately, I left the next Friday for LA and was so busy that it didn't really matter.

I had a fabulous time in LA. The weather was amazing, high 70's - 80's the whole time I was there and it was like being in heaven, especially now as I come back to Dublin the winds are back up into weather warning and I literally was almost blown into a lake last night while walking to a pub with co-workers for a Friday evening drink. My feet literally lifted off the ground Mary Poppins style and I was TERRIFIED! I hate wind.

While in LA, I got to see everyone I have missed so much and had a blast. Karen volunteered to pick me up from the airport and we headed to the mall at which point the jetlag had started to kick in and I literally was feeling so dizzy that I couldn't even see the merchandise so we headed out to my first meal back....Mexican food at Casa Vega of course. Tara met us there as well and we spent the evening chit chatting over spicy mexican salsa and margaritas, another bit of heaven and of course my biggest food weakness in life.

Woke up at 5:30 am the next day and jumped into my car for the first time in 4 months and headed to Starbucks, excited that it would be open so early in the morning, grabbed a Caramel Macchiatto and headed to Target for some bargain supply shopping, even having special requests from some of my co-workers who are missing things while in Ireland. I stocked up on all my favorite things to bring back to Dublin and later that afternoon met CJ for a haircut. I couldn't wait to see him, catch up and get a decent haircut. Afterwards I met up with Rasmus (post tattoo), met his new roommate, Mike and the three of us headed to Abbott Kinney for dinner at a cool little Tapas Restaurant, hit the Viceroy, the Cat Club, the Spider Club and then to HELL (otherwise known as Avalon). It was a 12 hour session of massive fun followed by a massive session of hangover.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
We went to a Swedish Christmas Eve party the next afternoon and I got to see Petra & Andreas right before they had their beautiful baby girl, Vilda, where I couldn't even drink the GLOG, which is as most of you know, one of my favorite things. Fortunately, Blue (Rasmus's dog who was only a few weeks old when I left LA) was quite content to lay on the couch with me all afternoon while I recovered. That night my mom and I had a nice dinner just the two of us (more Mexican food of course) and I had an early night to bed, still jetlagged and exhausted.

Christmas morning I woke up and did the rounds of dropping off presents, got to see Jude and the puppies and then cooked my first Turkey, with coaching from my mom of course....but we did the stuffing from scratch, prepared the bird, made all the traditional side dishes, and had a nice day with family (Mom, DJ, Hunter, Nana, Chrissy, Paula & Annette) followed by racing to drop off a dinner plate to my dad and make it to Jude's in time for dessert (Christmas tradition). Unfortunately, cooking the turkey took 8 hours so I missed most of it as everyone was beginning to head home right as I arrived. I did also get to talk to my cousin Kirstin, who asked me to be her new daughter Olivia's godmother.

Met Sean for lunch the next day, had a doctor's appt only to find out I had asthmatic bronchitis for the past 2 months...yuck...and then met Karen for a day at Loehmann's, my favorite shopping spot at the Beverly Center. She asked me to be in her wedding, so exciting!!! I ended up passing out on her couch watching TV, obviously still jetlagged...the 8 hour time difference was really playing it's toll on my social life.

I spent Wednesday night with Sandra. She gave up her weekly date night so we could go to sushi and catch up, spent the night at her house, she cooked me breakfast in the morning and then we hit the Fashion Square. I had an appt that evening to see CJ one more time so headed back to Beverly Hills and he took me to our favorite summer spot together, the Abbey. I then stopped by the Cat Club, met up with Alex in Brentwood, headed back to the Cat Club to catch the Starfuckers and see Sean & Keith & everyone and then called it a night.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday, I met Alex for an afternoon coffee and then met up with Marisa and had a nice evening with her and George and finally got to meet her mom, who was fabulous of course...

Saturday, I spent with Karen and then met Ben for a drink at a fun wine bar called Air Conditioned and then headed to Rasmus's. Spent the New Year's Eve day at 3rd street promenade looking around for last minute things for the theme party that night and then it was to Roberto's for a very fun New year's Eve party. Highlights: Marisa & George & Natascha were able to make it...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Rasmus & Even Steven DJing...
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Masha and her hilarious black glasses...all of the cool masks...Even Steven stepping backwards into the jacuuzi for a dip...Yelena & Jacqui playing dress up and in wigs at 8am...watching the sunrise...not getting to Jude's to sleep until about 11am...only sleeping for 3 hours and then kept going...spent that evening at Karen's, again passing out on her couch watching TV.

Had two more appts in the Valley on Tuesday, saw my Nana for a bit, saw my dad for a bit, and then headed back to Casa Vega for my last Mexican meal with Jude, Andy, Carol, Tara, etc. and then went back to Tara's for a little bit since we hadn't spent much time together while I was there.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Meanwhile, Petra & Andreas finally had their baby that day...so I got up the next morning and visited them...she is gorgeous and they both looked fabulous and were glowing parents....
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Stopped by Rasmus's to get my winter coat(it's freezing here), packed at my mom's and got on a plane back to Dublin.

It couldn't have been a better vacation and made me realize that no matter what, there is no place like home for the holidays! I can't wait to come back...hopefully at the end of April for Coachella, and definitely in July for Karen's wedding.

No comments: