Saturday, January 13, 2007

New Year's Resolutions!

It's another stormy day in Dublin. The wind and rain is in full force so rather than venture to Dun Laoughaire to sign up for the gym as I intended, I sit here blogging in the warmth of my cozy apt. I promise to do yoga later to make up for it:)

So it's that time of the year when I typically dedicate myself to accomplishing certain things in the year. Big goals that turn into smaller more accomplishable tasks to keep me focused, dedicated or disciplined. Last year was a year of change. If you asked me a year ago if I would be living 8,000 miles from LA, without the comforts of having friends and family within close reach, I would have told you, no way. Never gonna happen. But here I sit, a year later, in Dublin, committed to be here for a period of time, contemplating what I want to accomplish while I am here.

I've always had my 9 main areas of goal focus, so I'll share them here in no particular order for the sake of thoroughness and maybe for a bit of inspirational encouragement. Plus if I put it out there, then I have to stay dedicated to it:)

Career:

Career is going well. My biggest career goal this year was to hire, hire hire. Mission accomplished. I've hired over 120 employees just for the new company in Dublin since May...not counting the hiring I did prior to the relocation announcement. The biggest effort on this front was to not compromise standards regarding the quality of the candidates while still hitting very high # targets. Another goal was to work on my business plan. So far that hasn't worked out so well and I really need to get focused on that. I'd like to be able to come back to LA and start my company and create something from scratch. I have alot of the ideas worked out in my head but most of it needs to be detailed on paper and worked out financially and strategically, so that is a huge goal for me this year.

Travel & Vacation:

I had a few goals already in mind when I decided to relocate. I wanted to travel around Europe, experience different cultures, step outside of my comfort zone. That's an in progress goal, I guess. I've just booked a trip to Paris for the 1st week in February when Caroline arrives. I got an amazing deal through travelzoo so we have nice accomodation and a relatively cheap flight to go experience a new country. Other places I'd like to visit while I'm here...Madrid, Barcelona, Venice, Palermo, Sweden, Rome, Berlin, Austria or Switzerland for skiing, Amsterdam, Bordeaux, Dubai, Prague, Vienna, Milan, Ibiza in the summer, etc.

Friends & Family:

This has been the biggest compromises and hardest one for me this year. I am completely feeling like I have to sacrifice on this to accomplish some of the other things I dedicated to this year which really doesn't sit well with me. I have tried to keep in touch through phone, skype is great( btw, my skype address is ness1113). I've been and will continue to blog and I try and email as well, but this has been a suffering area for me, especially missing everyone so much. But people will start rolling into Dublin and Europe as we get closer to summer so that will help. So far, Caroline is coming in February, Carol is coming in May, my mom & brothers are coming in August and I will be home in April and July. Not counting all the other unplanned trips as well.

Health & Fitness:

Regarding fitness, I want to get into the best shape of my life this year...I don't know what that means exactly but the smaller goal would be to exercise a minimum of 4 days a week, cycle, weight train, yoga, dance, etc. consistently throughout the year. I did ok on this last year but I could step it up a notch, and have lost a lot of my momentum while living here due to moving so many times, inconvenience, etc. I have been learning to cook a bigger variety of meals as well, so making healthy eating choices would be a part of that as well. It's easier here since there is no MEXICAN FOOD and portions of food served here is more accurate.

Financial:

Financially, I'd like to be in a position where I could increase my income and really focus on some long-term savings goals, ie. property, retirement, investments etc. so I need to re-budget now that I am here and have a handle on things so I can get focused on that. Moving to Dublin was a big part of this goal as well so that's a work in progress.

Spiritual:

This has been another hard one in Dublin as well. I feel spiritually connected to God but a bit out of touch on the activity side. I used to go to church regularly in LA and here, no one goes and everyone seems a bit jaded religiously which is strange for me growing up in a very spiritually fulfilled environment where you didn't question whether or not God exists or persecute religion, even other religions, in the same way that the culture seems to here. Being a Catholic country, I am suprised at how much religion is DEAD here. So goal would be to find a spiritually enlightened church...this may be a difficult one, but I will try.

Personal Development:

I'm picking easy goals on this one this year. Get some culture, ie. visit museums, learn about the culture of Europe, pay attention to my environment as I travel, find out where I may be able to contribute. Also, try to cook a new recipe every week. Read daily. Finally, finish a knitting project...I started this last year but got distracted and I'd like to at least finish something, preferably a cool blanket, this year.

Relationship:

Hardest one to discuss in a public forum... last year was really hard for me relationship wise. I don't need to get into that. Most of you already know. But I have noticed that I have been gun shy with dating and relationships this last year as was I guess to be expected. This one will progress naturally I think and I am beginning to have a more open mind to the idea of a new relationship. The tarot card reader at the Christmas party said that someone will pursue me and I will begin a relationship with someone that I already know this year after I cross water, and I just crossed water so let's see how accurate those psychic's are;) She described him as a "knight", swords and all, but said that I could handle it. Whatever that means!!!

Home:

This is always a fun one for me but this year is a bit different since I'm in Dublin. I love to decorate and work on "home" projects. Before I left, I was trying to create an Italian or French Country villa theme in my house. This year the goal is to keep it simple and try not to accumulate a lot of crap while I'm here. Of course, if I find things that are a must have while I'm traveling in France or Italy for my LA home, I will pick things up, but other than that, the goal is to keep it as simple and low maintenance as possible. Easy to do, since my home here is furnished.

No comments: