Sunday, October 8, 2006

Sunday Afternoon - 10/8/06

It's been another crazy week...don't know if y'all heard but there was a major disaster in the poker world last week...We'll call it "Black Monday" of the poker world...legislation was passed in the US to stop American's from using American based forms of payment for online gambling...it's really sad because they put the legislation in the port security bill which no one can vote against and they snuck it in with that...so it will be interesting to see how this plays out...you can get more info at www.pokernews.com if you want to hear more about it.

I hope American's will stand up for their right to privacy. My opinion is that it's a violation of privacy to have the gov't dictating what you can and can't spend your money on, and the gov't is asking financial institutions to monitor everyone's US based bank accounts to monitor violations of the new legislation. It's seems that "Big Brother" may be a reality sooner than we think if this continues and has historically never been successful in the past...just look at what happened during prohibition.

I think a better solution would be for the US gov't to regulate poker(because it is a skilled based game vs. other forms of online gambling), which makes billions of dollars each year, tax it(to work on the huge US debt), and put some iniatives in place to inform and train people about responsible spending, ie. how to not be irresponsible gambling degenerates, which is a funny concept considering that people who want to be degenerate and wasteful of their money will be that way will be regardless of the law prohibiting it...and once again the masses suffer for the few.

So needless to say, it was a very busy work week as FTP (a private company) has announced it will continue to operate (at least in the near future until the legislation is actually enacted) and most of the public-based online poker companies pulled out of the US market immediately(answering to shareholders and lost billions of dollars..hence the Black Monday analogy). Who knows where this will lead...but it's very interesting to say the least.

I have been so busy, I haven't had a chance to really sit down and plan out my trips so I've dedicated today to some planning online...I'd like to book a few trips and sign up for French lessons...I think it would be so good to learn a foreign language while I'm here.

Other than that, just been fighting off the crazy drunk Irish boys and getting acquainted to the new city and lifestyle...it's definitely a learning experience.

BTW...everyone seems to be reading this but no one puts comments on my blog...does everyone know that a blog is a two-way form of communication where you (the reader) can post your thoughts and comments as well....so get to it, haha! I want feedback:)...and if you don't know how, then sit down and figure it out, mabye you'll learn something:) I'll help you if you like.

Have a good week:) Challenge yourself to do at least one thing difficult this week...step out of your comfort zone...and then tell me about it...challenge is the best way to grow...and why I've picked myself up and out of my world in LA and moved it to Ireland (to get out of my own way in my too comfortable zone in LA) so maybe that will motivate some of you to do the same. My experience here has been challenging at times, but I'm learning and I will come back better for the experience.

I miss you all very much! The homesickness (is that a word) is really kickin' in so send me some love...xoxo!

No comments: