Sunday, October 8, 2006

Cooking and Cars

Things We Take For Granted:::

ok, it's a little later in the afternoon and my frustration is peaking so excuse me while I vent for a minute...I just looked out the window and it's raining. I am hungry, I had cereal for breakfast but I only have milk, cereal, a bowl of soup, cheese and crackers in my fridge...in some countries, this would be a blessing...However, I am a spoiled girl who usually has a full fridge and isn't used to having to walk to the grocery store and only buy as much food as I can carry so I basically have to grocery shop every other day. Today would normally be the day since I picked some stuff up on my way home from work on Friday night.

In LA, stores are open all day and all night and I have a car so I can grocery shop once a week and or even every other week, load my car with groceries and be done with it for a while....and if you don't feel like cooking there is a million cheap restaurants and even drive through fast food. I'm sure you have all experienced this and can relate even if you've never really thought about it.

The Dilemna:

It is Sunday here so all the stores near me are closed...the closest grocery store is two long blocks away and I do not feel like walking two very long blocks in the rain to buy only enough food to last me until tomorrow. I could go to a restaurant but it usually costs 30 - 40 euro which I don't feel like spending on a meal that I am eating by myself and then have the same problem in a few hours since I still will not have actually bought groceries.

So here I sit, very upset...my solution...melting cheese on the crackers in the microwave(there is no oven here) and sitting here complaining on my blog which again proves how spoiled I am... because if I had my car I would jump in it and go find a good place to eat, maybe even drive through if I didn't feel like dressing up or being in public. Here I have to dress for the rain and walk with groceries (can't carry umbrella and groceries at the same time) getting wet in order to eat. Very frustrating!!!!

Note to self on lessons learned...

1. don't take drive through or sunshine or having a car for granted and don't be so spoiled.
2. Cheese and crackers taste good. (I'm eating them now and feel better since I'm not starving anymore)
3. Convenience stores in the US have spoiled me.
4. Stop being a baby and go get wet:) Otherwise, I will be very hungry in a few hours again.
5. In the future try and get groceries when it's not raining so I can carry two bags instead of one...then I won't have to juggle the groceries and the umbrella.
6. Don't vent to your friends about being hungry or they may stop reading my blog;)

And....that's enough of that...Happy Days!!!!!

No comments: